Small Scale Industries is what SSI stands for. Several MSMEs have found the government’s SSI Registration programme, which is managed by the Ministry of Small and Micro Industries, to be quite beneficial.
Also Read: Udyam Registration
Why are just MSMEs and not other firms targeted by this programme?
The foundation of the economy is made up of micro, small, and medium-sized businesses. They are an economy’s major advocates for progress and serve as its main torchbearers. They make a variety of contributions, including creating jobs, reducing wealth inequality, boosting the industrial sector’s contribution, and much more.
The domestic and worldwide market competition has been successfully fought off by MSME industries. Nothing, including poor infrastructure, a financial shortage, a lack of market connections, etc., has impeded its development. MSMEs have been the government’s main focus due to all the aforementioned reasons.
Although signing up for SSI online is an optional option, doing so has brought about countless advantages for the people who do so. It is a means through which the government expresses gratitude to MSMEs and offers support in order to boost the nation’s economy.
What qualifications must one meet to receive SSI?
The requirements for manufacturing businesses (i.e., those that produce goods, food products, etc.) to apply for SSI registration are as follows.
- Micro Industries: The total investment in machinery and plant cannot be greater than INR 25 lakhs.
- Small Scale Enterprises: Amount must be greater than Rs. 25 lakhs and less than Rs. 5 crores.
- Medium Enterprises: Must be between Rs. 5 and Rs. 10 crores.
The slab for companies that focus on providing services is as follows:
- Micro Industries: Equipment investment total is less than ten lakhs.
- Small Scale Enterprises: 10 lakhs to 2 crores or more.
- Medium Enterprise: Ranging from 2 to 5 crores.
The steps involved in SSI registration and their terms
There are two ways to complete the registration process: provisional registration and permanent registration.
Provisional registration certificates are given to businesses that are just getting started. They are given a Permanent Registration Certificate at the start of business, when the functioning of the plant commences. Operating businesses are not immune from registration, though. They can instantly apply for a permanent SSI certificate online in these circumstances.
The registration is subject to a few clauses. If this condition is not met, the entrepreneur’s registration will be revoked.
- The only eligible businesses for registration are those that deal exclusively in the products mentioned in Schedule III.
- Companies that manufacture goods that need an industrial license won’t be registered under SSI/MSME.
- The value of the equipment cannot be greater than the limit specified in the eligibility section.
- At the time of application, the Entrepreneur should have gotten all relevant approvals.
Is a Provisional Registration required before applying for a Permanent Registration Certificate, or is it possible to do so directly?
Businesses that are already operating can apply for a Permanent Registration Certificate directly. At the beginning stage, industries are given a provisional certificate. As the name implies, it helps the person set up their business by making loans and obtaining the appropriate permissions. The person might launch their firm after doing all the pre-production work that is required. The business operator can apply straight for a Permanent Registration Certificate if the industry is already established and does not require a Provisional Registration Certificate.
How does registration help the government?
The goal of the Central and State governments is to give MSME registration as many advantages, tax perks, and excise exemptions as possible by including them in the SSI online registration bracket. In order to promote this sector’s growth, the government has mandated that large corporations buy a specific set of products only from it. The SSI registration turns out to be a blessing in disguise because many tiny and microscaled businesses are run by underprivileged individuals who are bereft of resources and financial assistance.
When more industries choose for online SSI registration, the government is able to compile statistics that shed light on the state of those industries, the steps that need to be done to spur growth, and the potential for additional amenities to be introduced to ensure effective industry functioning.
Needed Documents for SSI Registration
The following list of documents must be submitted by the applicant at the time of application:
- Aadhar Card
- PAN Card
- Address Proof
- Documents of ownership or a lease
- A certificate of clearance from:
- Board of Electricity
- Board for State Pollution
- The applicant is required to provide an affidavit stating the exact condition of all machinery and plant.
Suggested Read: Update Udyam Certificate